The Grassland Foundation, Inc. gratefully acknowledges the work and effort of Ross Carnick, a volunteer at the Cora (Anderson) DuLaney History Room at Severn Cross Roads, Millersville, Anne Arundel, Maryland, who processed most of the following pictures from their originals in the history room.
Mrs. Ann Regina (Anderson) Tucker Beall (Mrs. Lemon Beall, Sr.), daughter of Absalom III and Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson, of Davidsonville, Md.
Until recently, this still standing stone home at Marriottsville, Howard County, Maryland, was erroneously thought to have been the home of Thomas Anderson and his son, the older Isaac Cord (I) Anderson; instead, their home was another still standing stone home, somewhat similar in construction and age, that is located across Driver Road in the same general vicinity.
Albert George Anderson he was a son of Absalom (V) Anderson and Louise (Walters) Anderson, his first wife, in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. He was a Captain in the Canadian Army Overseas during World War II, and he was married to Helen McIntire.
>Absalom Anderson V, and his sister, Amanda (Anderson) McDonald: These are the two children of Absalom Anderson, IV, and Anna (Pollock) Anderson in Saskatchewan, Canada. Amanda’s husband, the late J. C. McDonald, shown in one of the photographs, owned and operated a foundry-type business at Prince Albert and, at one time, served as President of the Canadian Manufacturers Association. Several of the McDonald sons returned to the foundry business of their father following their World War II service. In one of these photographs, which was taken on the 11 June 1913 wedding date of Amanda and her husband, Amanda’s father, Absalom (IV), the father of the bride, is shown with the bride and groom (possibly the last picture taken of him prior to his enlistment in the Canadian Army). The following photograph shows the father in his Canadian Army uniform. Amanda McDonald visited Anne Arundel County and her relatives there several times during her lifetime, staying in 1912 with her uncle by marriage, the late Judge Lemon Beall, Sr., and attending, with him when he was a Delegate, the Democratic Party National Convention, in Baltimore, when New Jersey Governor Woodrow Wilson received the nomination for President of the United States. Amanda was so impressed with Governor Wilson that, after she returned home and then married in 1913, she named her first born and oldest son, Woodrow McDonald, after the President of the United States. Absalom Anderson (IV) son of Absalom III and Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson and one of the two brothers who migrated West after the Civil War, circa 1885 and possibly soon after their Mother had died (1882). Their “story” is not summarized in the DE. Briefly, they departed from the Davidsonville and/or Severn Cross Roads communities, in which they were then residing (one of them, at least, might have been residing temporarily with the family of William Henry Anderson, Sr., when they departed, stayed briefly with the family of their Aunt “Tillie” (Matilda) (Anderson) Gaither in Frederick, MD, and then they moved on West, arriving at Ottawa, Kansas, where they stayed (and worked) with the farm family of at least one of their (Disney) cousins (possibly Samuel Richard Disney, or one of his brothers, before moving on to South Dakota (during which time they may have been employed with one of the railroads, doing land survey-type work). In South Dakota, the younger brother, James Williams Anderson, met and married Nellie Brown, and settled at Vermillion, South Dakota, where he became a farmer and a justice of the peace, and had one son, James Walter (“Walter”) Anderson, who became the Ford automobile dealer for many years at Yankton, S.D., and two daughters. In the meantime, his older brother, Absalom (IV) Anderson, moved on North after he had met and married Anna Pollock, to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada, where that couple raised a family and lived until the beginning of World War I, when Absalom (IV) Anderson, enlisted as a medical orderly with the Canadian Overseas Forces, was shipped overseas to England, where he soon contracted and died from pneumonia, when he was approximately 55 years of age. To this day he is interred in the Military Cemetery at Shorncliffe, England, which was the location of the hospital to which he had been assigned just a few days before his death. He left surviving him, his widow and one daughter, Amanda McDonald, and one son Albert, or Absalom (V) Anderson. Each of these two children married and left descendants still in Saskatchewan, although a few have migrated back to the States. One of the referenced photographs is of Absalom (IV) Anderson taken at Ottawa, Kansas, when he was still a young man.
Anna (Pollock) Anderson wife of Absalom IV Anderson, taken shortly before she died in early 1930’s (probably in Prince Albert, Sask.
Absalom Anderson (III) and Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson Original Tombstone at Cemetery of Davidsonville United Methodist Church (Intersection of Central Avenue and Birdsville Road (Md. Rte. No. 424), Davidsonville, MD 21035: This is the earlier of the two cemetery markers for this couple and some of their children, and it marks the particular grave site of Louisa.
Anderson Family of William H. Anderson, Sr. (then deceased) at Brooksbys Point, Severn Cross Roads, Millersville, MD (where they were then living circa 1900 to 1910 or thereabouts) includes (not necessarily in order Left to Right, 1st Row: Daughter Ida M. Anderson (later married C. Milton Duvall, of Crownsville, Maryland); their young cousin, Fannie (Frances) Meade (later Mrs. Benjamin Williams and, still later, Mrs. Edwin Schad, of Waterbury, Maryland; Son Albert R. Anderson, Sr.; Seated: Bachelor son Lemuel Orme Anderson (the “Knight of Severn Cross Roads” in local jousting tournaments); young Stella Rice (a neighbor); Bachelor son William H. Anderson, Jr.; and Son Marvin Wesley Anderson. Standing in the rear is their widowed mother: Sarah Elizabeth (“Aunt Betty” to her numerous nieces and nephews) (Scrivener) Anderson.
“Abington Farm”: Abington Farm at Millersville, Anne Arundel County, DE: 76,94,95-96. References are to page nos.(not to footnote nos.) in Extract of Diary or Farm Journal (“DE”) of William Anderson of “Grassland”…, unless otherwise indicated.[/caption]
3. “Anderson Dinner in Pasadena, CA, circa 1982″: Left to Right: 1st Row: Mrs. William P. Hall, Jr. (now deceased); Christine Hardy Anderson (Mrs. Ross Banes Anderson, Jr. (now deceased); Rev. Ross Banes Anderson, Jr. (now deceased); Carol (Anderson) Bishop, of Long Beach CA (now deceased); 2d Row: Dr. William P. Hall, Jr. (now deceased, descendant of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall and Thomas Hall, her husband, no relation to Bill’s father’s Hall family); William Wilson Hill (West Point graduate and a native of Linthicum, MD, grandson of Cousin Cornelia (Anderson) Disney, and, therefore, a grand nephew of Bruner Rollin Anderson, Sr.); Mrs. William Wilson Hill (see reference(s) about her in Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times….); Marvin H. Anderson; Michael Bishop (Carol’s husband); and Mildred B. Anderson (wife of Marvin H. Anderson standing behind Mrs. Bill Hall). (Annotator’s Note: The number of these since deceased friends and cousins who have since departed us is shocking and dismaying.)
James Curtis Anderson is standing in the background with hand on hip. He was later captured and died in a Japanese prisoner of war camp in Korea. The Red Cross believed he died in Mukden, China but subsequent research revealed that he never made it to Mukden.
Absalom Anderson (III) (father of the above mentioned William Henry Anderson, Sr., and others): DE: 7,9,11,15,18,19,20,29,30,31,45,70,77,80,82,84,85,95,97,106,111,114.
Anna Pollock Anderson and daughter, Amanda (Anderson) McDonald in Saskatchewan, Canada with the McDonald children when young.
James Curtis Anderson the elder was the son of Septimus Anderson, who died of TB in 1866 when James was 18 months old. Two older sisters and one older brother were raised by various other family members.
Dr. Asa Anderson, son of William Clark Anderson, Sr., and Carey (Brashears) Anderson and a grandson of Absolom (I) Anderson by his first wife, Mary Clark(e) Anderson. This full color portrait (the original of which is possibly today with the Anne Arundel County Historical Society) has appeared in our printed newsletter along with an article about the doctor and his family and in two editions the book From Sotweed to Suburbia about the history of Crofton, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, where Dr. Anderson is credited as being the earliest physician in the community that later became Crofton.
Robert Lee (Bud) Anderson on his landing craft upon which he landed troops during the island campaign against Japan. That craft was the one he drove into Okinawa. At the time of this photograph they were preparing to invade Japan.
Attorney Bruner Rollin Anderson (uncle of Mrs. DuLaney and others) when he was older, retired, and living at Linthicum Heights, Maryland. DE: 39,90,91,92,113,114,
Carol Anderson Bishop (now deceased daughter of James Walter Anderson and his second wife, of Yankton, SD). DE: 82.
Francis Gaither Anderson, a son of Isaac Cord and Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson, DE: 106-107. He was employed as a heavy construction mechanic and operator during the construction of the Panama Canal and later operated his own business at Wellsburg, New York. His wife was a Public Health Service Nurse likewise at the Panama Canal during the bad health epidemics that occurred when the Canal was constructed.
Eliza (Williams) Anderson. wife and widow of Dr. Asa Anderson, See pages 96-97 of Mrs. DuLaney’s Andersons from the Great Fork of the Patuxent.
Eva C. Shipley Anderson (Mrs. Bruner R. Anderson, Sr.), wife of Attorney Bruner R. Anderson. When she was younger, she was regarded as an outstandingly attractive young woman.
A picture taken on the front porch of the Halls Grove farm home at Rutland, Gambrills, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, on the occasion of an Anderson Family Reunion held nearby during the Summer of circa 1973
Frances Gaither (Anderson) Lewis (later Mrs. Paul Lewis), when she was a child growing up at New Brighton, Pennsylvania (daughter of Isaac Cord Anderson, Jr.) DE: 106-107.
Francis Gaither Anderson with President William Howard Taft at the Panama Canal Construction Zone, when the President was visiting. DE: 106-107.
Hannah Moler Anderson (Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr.), one of Mrs. DuLaney’s maternal grandmothers, at Woodwardville. DE: 15, 27, 28, 29, 33, 35, 36, 40, 42, 45, 46, 47, 48,53,72,74,80,89,108,109,110,112,113.
. Isaac Cord Anderson(s), of Ohio, a descendant (son or grandson) of Joshua Anderson, son of Absolom (I) Anderson by his second wife, Ann (Wheeler) Anderson.
. Louise Walter Anderson, first wife of Absalom (V) Anderson, and who died on 25 January 1920, of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. Mother of Leonard John, Albert George, and Joan Isabelle Anderson (the three oldest children of their father). Their mother died at the Mayo Clinic.
Not identified at this time, but possibly Isaac Cord (I) Anderson, of Marriottsville (son of Thomas Anderson and Sarah (Cord) Anderson, his wife? DE: 106-107.
Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr,, son of Absalom (III) and Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson, of (finally) Crownsville, Anne Arundel County. DE: 106-107. His wife, Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson, who predeceased her husband, is definitely interred in an unmarked grave site, within the Richard (Bud) Anderson Family grave lots at St. Stephens Episcopal Church graveyard at Crownsville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
James Tucker Anderson, oldest son and child of Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr., and Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson, was the young, married electrical worker employed as such at Annapolis when Dahlgren Hall, at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, was being electrified circa 1910, when he fell to his death from a scaffold, leaving surviving him his then young widow and their two quite young children, a son, Harry Welch Anderson, and a daughter. The family was practically destitute and depended upon financial and other assistance from the widow’s rather well known Basil family in Annapolis plus help from some of Tucker’s Anderson brothers. It was quite a struggle. Harry Welch Anderson grew up on the streets of Annapolis, became a licensed plumber, and married Marie Merkel, of Bowie, where Harry and Marie later lived, raised a son, and grew award winning dahlias on Merkel Farms near the Racetrack at Bowie.
Robert Aubrey Anderson (nee Aubrey) in 1913. He was a son of James Curtis Anderson and a stone mason by trade. His mother, Mary Jane (Wagner) Anderson and young sister died in 1907. James Curtis had to find foster homes for his small children. Robert tracked down all his siblings, keeping close relationships with all of them, and they all grew old together within a few miles of each other. He held no animosity towards his father, naming a son after him.
Joan Isabelle Anderson, the nurse daughter of Absalom (V) Anderson and his first wife, Louise Walter Anderson, who lived her entire life at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada, except when she was in school or on duty as a Canadian Army Nurse Overseas during World War II. Her military career during that conflict is summarized on page 143 of Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy as well as in an article, with her picture, in one of the printed newsletters put out about the year 2000 by The Grassland Foundation, Inc. Joan died during 2012.
Providence Plantation Home at Woodwardville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, as it appeared circa 1885 to 1890, or thereabouts, with Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr. (Hannah Moler Anderson) seated on the front porch. Most of the farm (including the home) was sold following her death a few years later. The home survived until the post World War II period. Photo courtesy of Miss Judith Anderson of Linthicum Heights.
James Walter Anderson (son of James Williams Anderson) with his first wife, Angie Josephine Lien (who died), Yankton, South Dakota. See page 144 of Mrs. DuLaney’s (1948) Anderson genealogy.
Two photographs of Leonard John (Bill) Anderson, of Saskatchewan, Canada, son of Absalom (V) Anderson and his first wife. Bill had a remarkable career leading up to and including his World War II military service, See page 143 of Mrs. DuLaney’s (1948) Anderson genealogy as well as an article, with his picture, in one of the printed newsletters put out about the year 2000 by The Grassland Foundation, Inc.
Another image of Leonard John (Bill) Anderson, of Saskatchewan, Canada, son of Absalom (V) Anderson and his first wife.
Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson (wife of Absalom (III) Anderson). DE:82.
Possibly Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson, wife of Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr. DE:106,107.
Margaret Beard Anderson, first wife of Samuel Anderson, Jr. DE:116.
Martha Lavinia Anderson, unmarried daughter of Richard (Bud) Anderson and Sophia Hall (Woodward) Anderson. DE:36,78. She was the female companion/secretary of Mrs. Miles White, one of the sisters of Johns Hopkins, the Baltimore philanthropist and Quaker founder of both the Johns Hopkins Hospitals and the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and much about her appears in Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times….
Marvin I Anderson seated on right
Marvin Isaac Anderson (father of Marvin H. Anderson and Richard G. Anderson), from young man to senior citizen in the series.
Marvin Isaac Anderson and his wife, Geneva Hauser Anderson, parents of Marvin H. Anderson and Richard G. Anderson. Mrs. Anderson had been a high school teacher at the earlier Arundel High School (successor of the Anne Arundel Academy) at Millersville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Two photographs of Michael Anderson, son of James Walter Anderson at Yankton, SD, and sister of Carol Anderson Bishop. Michael and Carol both lived at Long Beach, California, and both are now deceased.
This photograph is identified on the back as the second Mrs. Edward E. Anderson and is believed to be of Caroline (Spears) Anderson, who was the (first and only?) wife of Edward E. Anderson (II) (son of Thomas and Eleanor (Warfield) Anderson, and, therefore, part of the William (III) Anderson line. In any case, this is the first and only, so far, Anderson photograph, in this particular collection, to be thus connected to the William III Anderson family; there are other groups of photographs extant showing these and other branches . And it is not clear that the lady shown is really Caroline (Spears) Anderson, because there were more than one Edward Edwards Andersons junior to Edward Edwards Anderson, Sr., in the total family. This lady might have been the second wife of any of such juniors. For example, she might have been Mary (Evans) Anderson, second wife of Edward Edwards Anderson (son of William and Sarah Jane (Waters) Anderson. See page 35 of Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy
The cemetery headstone and family marker tombstone, respectively, at the Cemetery of St. Stephens Episcopal Church at Crownsville, Maryland, where two generations, at least, of the family of Richard (“Bud”) Anderson (son of Samuel Anderson, Sr., and Elizabeth (Anderson) Anderson, are interred, along with a few other family members, including Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson (Mrs. Isaac Cord Anderson, II).
Richard (“Bud”) Anderson. DE: 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 20, 22, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 38, 40, 44, 62, 69, 77, 78, 96, 81,82,84,90,94,95,100,110,112,113,116 (one of the two Anderson grandparents of Mrs. DuLaney
Roy Mitchell Anderson, of New Brighton, PA, as a young man. Only son of Isaac Cord () Anderson, Jr. (son of Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr., and Lucy Caroline (Gait her) Anderson.
Ruth Alice Anderson. See pages 151-152 of Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy. She was the only child and daughter of one of Mrs. DuLaney’s uncles, William Thomas Anderson, Jr. (the storekeeper at Carlisle, PA).
]> Two images of Dr. Samuel Hall Anderson, the bachelor Woodwardville physician who lived during his final years with Cousin Cora DuLaney’s Anderson parents in their final home at Woodwardville. Dr. Anderson was a son of Samuel Bealmear Anderson and Elizabeth (Hall) Anderson, his wife (of the “James Anderson” line), although Mrs. Elizabeth (Hall) Anderson was a daughter of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall, of the Absolom (I) Anderson family, and of Thomas Hall, her husband). Dr. Anderson, therefore, was (more than) doubly related to his Anderson hosts at Woodwardville. DE: 6,9,34,37,39,40,42,43,48,74,80.
Samuel Anderson, Jr., the storekeeper at Governor’s Bridge and Rutland, Davidsonville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland; namesake son of Samuel Anderson, Sr., and Elizabeth (Anderson) Anderson, of Woodwardville, MD. DE:77,89,107,116.
Sarah Elinor Woodward, an unmarried daughter of Henry (“Captain Harry”) Woodward and Eleanor (Williams) Turner Woodward, his wife, of Millersville and Waterbury, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, who (probably) lived in the old Woodward home at Severn Cross Roads, Millersville.
Sophia Hall (Woodward) Anderson (Mrs. Richard (“Bud”) Anderson), of White’s Hall, Gambrills, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, one of Mrs. DuLaney’s two grandmothers. DE: 4, 29, 32, 40, 41, 44, 45, 77, 78, 84, 90, 94, 95, 100, 110, 112, 113.
Possibly one of the family of Isaac Cord Anderson
“Not identified “
William Thomas Anderson, Jr. DE: 90,92. Storekeeper at Carlisle, PA, and later a real estate investor at West Arlington in Baltimore City. Uncle of Mrs. DuLaney. Interred at Cemetery of Trinity Church, Woodwardville, along with his wife.
William Thomas Anderson, Sr., grandfather of Mrs. DuLaney. DE:12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 53, 77, 89, 108, 109, 112, 113,
The Andersons of Woodwardville standing in front of the front porch of the Providence Plantation Home circa 1890 to 1900, soon before the death of Hannah (Moler) Anderson (Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr.), Mrs. DuLaney’s grandmother. This photograph is on the front cover of Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times…., and those shown were her parents and her aunts and uncles in her immediate family. They have all been identified by name in that booklet, as corrected in a subsequent annual newsletter of The Grassland Foundation, Inc. The home and most of the farm were sold following the death of Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr., soon after 1900. The home survived in other ownership(s) until the post-World War II period.
Dr. Arnold? Unless “picked up” in In Dogwood Blossoming Times…., he has not been identified
Rosa Hall Baldwin (Mrs. Rignal Woodward Baldwin, Sr.) , a lineal descendant of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall, of the Absolom (I) Anderson family. She married Attorney Rignal Woodward Baldwin, Sr. (son of William Henry, Sr., and Jane Maria (Woodward) Baldwin, of Bunker Hill Farm at Severn Cross Roads, Millersville, Maryland, and they were the parents of something like six children and have many descendants living today. For some years their namesake son, Rignal Woodward Baldwin, Jr., also an attorney, and his family, resided in the large white Superintendent’s home “on the hill” at the Savage Mill, still standing and in use, because that branch of the Baldwins owned and operated the Savage Mill prior to World War II, and Mr. Rignal W. Baldwin, Jr., was then the Mill Superintendent
Richard Baldwin, Jr., of, originally and finally, Spring Hill Farm (the ancestral real estate of his Woodward ancestors), on Bacon Ridge Road at Waterbury, was one of the set of the twin sons of Richard Baldwin, Sr., and Sophronia Jane (Furlong) Baldwin, who had purchased, from the Woodwards, in the late 1850s, and lived at, the Woodward ancestral real estate, which they called Spring Hill Farm. Richard, Jr., became a civil engineer and also graduated from Lehigh University. In his later years, Richard Baldwin, Jr., and his wife, lived right on Spring Hill Farm.
Another image of Rosa Hall Baldwin
Lemon Beall, Sr., who was the husband of Ann Regina (Anderson) Tucker Beall. He was Chief Judge of Anne Arundel County’s Orphans Court in the 1920s. DE:82,84.
Samuel Woodward Anderson’s namesake nephew, Samuel Woodward (II) Anderson, who was also a bachelor, way too young to have served in the Civil War, North or South; instead, soon after his father, William Henry (Sr.) Anderson, died, his oldest son, this particular Samuel, had to, and did, go to work for the Rawlings family living and owning “Warfields Plains” across the street (road) from where his mother and siblings then were, and Uncle Sam stayed with the Rawlingses for years as their “major domo”, “live in” valet, and general “handy man” until he (Sam) was almost the last living person in that old original Warfield family home. Much appears about Samuel Woodward (II) Anderson and his connections with the Warfield and Woodward descended Rawlings family in several of our already circulated booklets. This particular photograph was taken when he had left Warfields Plains, and soon before he died in 1934. He was named after his Civil War Confederate bachelor uncle who did not survive the War.
“Not identified at this time.”
Two images of Samuel Bealmear. He was probably the Samuel Bealmear who was a son of Francis Bealmear, Jr., and Elizabeth (Anderson) Bealmear and who married Ann Janetta (Brewer), daughter of John Brewer. The “bulk” of the local Bealmear real estate was at today’s Meyer Station
A group photograph depicting Maggie Brady, Johns Hopkins Anderson, Rosa E. Hall Baldwin, and Mary Virginia (“Jennie”) Anderson (Mrs, Daniel Dodge (I) Woodward). Johns Hopkins Anderson and Jennie Anderson were two of the children of Samuel Bealmear Anderson and Elizabeth (Hall) Anderson, who were “centered” at Glenn Dale in Prince George’s County when Samuel was not store keeping at places like Upper and Lower Marlboro and Chevy Chase, Maryland. “Jennie” Anderson married, as his first wife, Daniel Dodge (I) Anderson. DE: 73-74.
Brooksbys Point, the old Marriott-Sewell homestead located off of Old General’s Highway a little “behind” Old Dorr’s Corner off of Md. Rte. No. 178 near Severn Cross Roads, where the family (widow and children) of William Henry Anderson, Sr., lived during the period circa 1900 to circa 1920, give or take, after they relocated there when the Old Woodward Home (in which they had been living) at Severn Cross Roads burned circa 1900.
A series of basically unidentified images of persons having the last name of “Butterworth” plus one of a Gertie Miller Bullen. It is believed that most of these are somehow connected to female line relatives of Mrs. DuLaney, and that some of them may be identified by name in her In Dogwood Blossoming Times…., which, unfortunately, does not contain a name index.
The Reverend Isaac White Canter, pastor, M. E. Church South, who had married, as his second wife, Miss Margaret Jane Hall, a daughter of Absalom Hall and Julia Beard Hall, of Halls Grove Farm on Davidsonville Road at Rutland, Gambrills, Maryland, while the Reverend Canter was the pastor of the nearby St. Paul’s Church (M.E., South) on Davidsonville Road at today’s Crofton. (The photograph is marked: ”25 Oct. 1895.) The Reverend Canter also served churches in Baltimore City and elsewhere. This Canter couple left a rather distinguished line of progeny, primarily in Virginia (to which they ultimately relocated). They had three sons and one daughter, and each of them had a distinguished career: one became Dean and Professor of Chemistry at Randolph-Macon (Mens) College at Ashland, Virginia, and he served as national President of Phi Beta Kappa (the academic honorary fraternity), another became an honored minister in the Methodist Church, and a Doctor of Divinity, and the third son became a medical doctor practicing for many years in Harrisonburg, Virginia. They were and are all descendants of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall and Thomas Hall, her husband, of Glen Dale, Maryland (part of the Absolom (I) Anderson “line” in the family).
Jennie Hall Canter. Unless this is a photograph of Mrs. Isaac White Canter herself, this may be in actuality Jennie Collinson, the granddaughter of Reverend and Mrs. Canter who became the “administrative” “nurse in charge” for many years at the Old Annapolis and Anne Arundel General Hospital. If so, she was a daughter of Julia Comfort Hall, the daughter who married Benjamin Collinson, Sr., of South River (the Canters only daughter).
Margaret Jane Hall Canter, This was the wife of the Reverend Isaac White Canter, above mentioned
. R. Jerome Childs and his wife, Matilda (Anderson) Childs, who was a daughter of Richard (“Bud”) Anderson and Sophia Hall (Woodward) Anderson. DE: 94.
Julia Comfort Hall Collinson who had two children, Benjamin Collinson, Jr., and Jennie, all as above mentioned previously,
. Benjamin Franklin Disney. DE: 20,25,27,33,36,42,47,77,87,111,112.
Eli Disney. DE: 35,73,47,48,87.
Harold B. Disney, a son of William Downs and Cornelia (“Nelly”) (Anderson) Disney, He was a first cousin of Mrs. DuLaney.
Sarah Ann (Anderson) Disney. DE: 10, 14, 16, 20, 25, 27, 29, 33, 35, 37, 41, 42, 43, 46, 47, 51, 52, 77, 87, 111, 112.
William Thomas Disney. DE: 87. Relocated to, and farmed near, Ottawa, Kansas, along with some of his brothers, and they were probably the Disneys with whom the two Anderson brothers, Absalom (IV) and James Williams, resided and “worked for” on their way “West” in the 1880s-1890s.
A Group Photograph Taken a Number of Years Ago at Frederick, MD, showing Doris (Hemp) Gaither, her husband, Francis (“Frank”) Gaither, Jr., Ruth (Gittinger) Gaither (Mrs. Francis Gaither, Sr.), and her husband, Francis Gaither, Sr. The two “Frank Gaithers” were the son and grandson, respectively, of Matilda (“Tillie”) (Anderson) Gaither (Mrs. Samuel R. Gaither). Matilda Anderson and one of her brothers, Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr., were siblings who met and married siblings at and near Marriottsville, Howard County, Maryland, whom they had met as a consequence of visiting the Marriottsville home and farm of the senior Isaac Cord (I) Anderson, the wealthy bachelor who lived and resided at Marriottsville, to which he brought his young cousin, the younger namesake, Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr., to help raise him. DE:82, 106-107,108.
Mary Downs – sounds Odenton, but not sure who she was. Unless this is of Mark Downs, of Millersville
Mike Duff – Not sure which Duff he is (was), but Susan (Anderson) Duff, of Concord, Ohio, was a daughter of William Thomas and Hannah (Moler) Anderson, of Providence Plantation at Woodwardville, and, by virtue of her Duff marriage, there commenced a line of Duff/Anderson descendants in Ohio. This could be of any of them.
Moler A. Duff, Sr. Son of the couple last above mentioned. He and his family lived at Galloway, Ohio, and he was a locomotive engineer on the “Big Four” Railroad and was a prominent Scottish Rite Mason. He married and had a family.
Cora Woodward (Anderson) DuLaney. To many of us, she was simply “Mrs. DuLaney.”
A copy of the invitation to the wedding, at Baldwin Memorial, circa 1916, of Ida M. Anderson and C. Milton Duvall.
Two of Matilda (Anderson) Gaither, of Frederick, Maryland. DE:82,106.
Samuel R. Gaither (husband of Matilda (Anderson) Gaither, of Frederick, Maryland. DE:82,106.
Matt Garrott – In Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy, he is identified as a son of Allen Franklin and Virginia (Henkel) Garrott who married in 1907.
Nelia Moler Garnett (?) Not identified at this time, but undoubtedly part of the Moler family of West Virginia and/or Ohio who were “in laws” of the Providence Plantation Andersons at Woodwardville. There was/were one or more Cornelia Moler(s), and it is possible that “Nelia” might be “short” for “Cornelia”.
Frank Garrott – In Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy, he is identified as a son of Allen Franklin and Virginia (Henkel) Garrott who married in 1916 and was living in Dallas, Texas. Allen Franklin Garrott was a son of Bartholemew and Mary Priscilla (Anderson) Garrott, of Frederick County, Maryland, and these Garrotts, through Mary Priscilla (Anderson) Garrott, were descendants of Robert Anderson, a son of Absolom (I) Anderson and Ann (Wheeler) Anderson, his second wife, of Providence Plantation at Woodwardville, Maryland
Maxine McDonald Garvie, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, daughter of Amanda (Anderson) McDonald and J. C. McDonald, of Prince Albert, Saskatatchewan, Canada, is now retired from a career in journalism
Miss Annie Gordon
Edward Hall – May have been the particular Edward Hall who married Sarah Beck (Williams) Parker, his widowed sister-in-law. DE:75,76.
Martha Thomas Hall – DE:6,7,11,81. She was the unmarried daughter of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall and Thomas Hall, her husband. She was “Aunt Pat”.
Two photographs of Halls Grove home off the West side of Davidsonville Road (Md. Rte. No. 424) near Rutland at Gambrills, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, the last brick home of this Federal-style type that was built in that area in the 1850s by Absolom Anderson Hall and Julia (Beard) Hall, his wife. Ab Hall was a son of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall and Thomas Hall, her husband.
Dr. Tom Hammond
The wedding announcement of Arundel High School Home Economics Teacher Geneva Hauser to Marvin I. Anderson, of Millersville.
William W. Hill and Marvin Anderson at the “Anderson Dinner in Pasadena, CA,” circa 1982.
Robert Armistead Holb – Not identified, but might have been part of the Moler family, because one of the John Molers, of Columbus, Ohio, married a Mary Armistead. DE:98.
A John Hopkins and a Lizzie Hopkins (respectively). Lizzie Hopkins was probably a first cousin of Johns Hopkins, the Baltimore philanthropist. DE:86,116.
Mary Elizabeth (Plummer) Hersperger, of Frederick County, Maryland. DE:100. She was the mother of the late Baltimore physician, Dr W. Grafton Hersperger. This family is written up in Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy at page 131. They t race back to Richard (“Bud”) and Sophia Hall (Woodward) Anderson, of White’s Hall near today’s Crofton, Maryland.
James H. House is believed to be part of one of the maternal lines of the Andersons of Woodwardville, MD, and who appear in the booklet which includes Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times….
Clint Howard. Are there any Howard descendants present who can tell us who Clint was?
Miriam Jones. Believed to have been a descendant of Samuel and Elizabeth (Anderson) Anderson, of Providence Plantation at Woodwardville, MD, by descent from one of their daughters, Mary Jane Anderson Moler, of Charles Town, WVA.
Nannie Anderson Jones was a daughter of Samuel, Jr. (one of the Anderson storekeepers), by Margaret Ann (Beard) Anderson, his first wife, of Rutland, Davidsonville, Maryland. Nannie Anderson married John Jones, of Davidsonville, MD, and they had several children, according to Mrs. DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy
McDonald and Rose Families. This includes the late James (“Jimmy”) McDonald, son of Amanda (Anderson) and J. Cyrus McDonald, of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, and Jimmy’s family, including their daughter, Janet (McDonald) Rose, of today the large town in Texas where many in the Houston Space Flight community live and reside. Jimmy and his family were among the Canadian descendants who “moved back” to the United States after WWII to live and work.
Amanda & J C McDonald and several of their grandchildren
Amanda Anderson McDonald
J C McDonald Family
J. C. McDonald
James N & Amanda Anderson McDonald
James N & Burnice McDonald & Marvin Anderson
James N & Burnice McDonald & Marvin Anderson
Janet McDonald Rose and her grandmother, Amanda, Janet’s Dad, Jimmy, and Amanda’s namesake great grand daughter.
Maxine, Arthur & Jim McDonald
Margaret Anna McDonald (died young)
This is a series of “McDonald” images, including of their homes and various of their family. These include image(s) of Amanda (Anderson) McDonald and her husband, one of their sons, James Norman McDonald, Jimmy’s wife, Burniece, and in one of those two, Marvin H. Anderson. One is of Margaret Anna McDonald, the senior McDonalds’ oldest daughter and child, who passed away when she was quite young. One image depicts the surviving daughter, Maxine Garvie with two of her brothers, Arthur and Jim. Another is of another of the brothers, Osborne McDonald. The last two are of the oldest brother and son, Woodrow McDonald
Jane and Matthew McDuel. Not identified at this time.
Mary Mereer. Not identified at this time. George Moler’s Aunt
Middle Plantation, part of, the farm and brick home fronting on Davidsonville Road (Md. Rte. 424) just North of the Route 50 interchange, that was part of Mareen Duvall’s land grant of the same name, and on which a later Federal-style brick home was erected by some of his descendants. Today the home and farm of Mildred and Marvin Anderson and their family.
Alice Pearl Miller See below
Em Miller See below
Will Miller, Various Millers, parts of some of the maternal lines of the Andersons of Providence Plantation at Woodwardville, MD. Some or all of them are undoubtedly identified by name in Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times…
Allie Moler See below
Albert Moler of Ithaca
Charlie and Bert Moler
Charlie and Bert Moler
Daniel Moler DE 80
Ella A. B. Anderson Moler
Frank Moler DE 148
G. S. Moler and family
George S. Moler
John Grif Moler DE 108
Mary Jane Anderson Moler
Mr & Mrs Daniel Moler DE 80
Oldest Son of Richard Moler died at an early age
Sina Moler These are of various Molers and Andersons who married Molers and are identified, by name, in various places in the Diary Extract, in Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times…, and/or in Mrs.DuLaney’s Anderson genealogy. Since these folks by and large did not live at Woodwardville (although many visited there over the years), no further effort has been made here to identify them more than they were on the original Carrick list.
Harry Moore Married into the Anderson family
Frank Mullikin, mentioned DE 84
208. H. Clay Mullikin, Jr.. DE:84. Son of Henry Clay Mullikin, of Woodwardville, and Richarda (“Charda”) Sophia Anderson, a daughter of Richard (“Bud”) Anderson and Sophia Hall (Woodward) Anderson, of White’s Hall farm at today’s Crofton, Gambrills, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
H. Clay Mullikin, Jr., whose wife, Margaret (“Mattie”) W. Beall, was the daughter of Lemon Beall, Sr., and Anna Regina (Anderson) Tucker Beall, of Davidsonville, MD. DE:84.
H. Clay Mullikin Jr. or Senior DE 84
Margaret W. (Beall) Mullikin, wife of H. Clay Mullikin, Jr. DE:84.
Thomas Neff? Not identified
Ann Regina (Anderson) Tucker Beall DE 82, 84
Lavinia C Peeks? Not identified
Mary S. Plummer DE 100
Thomas Grafton Plummer
Allison Rose and Maxine (McDonald) Cooke Garvie. Great granddaughter of Amanda (Anderson) McDonald and grand niece of Amanda’s daughter, Maxine. We have “met” Amanda and Maxine earlier. Allison Rose is a daughter of Janet (McDonald) Rose, niece of Maxine Garvie. The Roses live near Houston, Texas.
Annie V. Woodward Shipley. DE:74. Second wife of Dr Roderick O. Shipley, of Harmans. She was a daughter of Surveyor John Randolph Woodward and Caroline Virginia (Gardner) Woodward. Mrs. Shipley was thus a sister of Clerk of the Circuit Court William Nicholas Woodward, of Annapolis.
A photograph of St. Stephens Church at Crownsville.
Stanley Still. Not identified. As you see on photo, “an old sweetheart” but whose?
Jacob Strider. Brother of Howard Strider. They married two Woodward sisters, the Misses Katherine and Betsy Woodward, while the sisters were visiting and staying with the family of William Anderson of “Grassland” at Harper’s Ferry, (West) Virginia. The two Woodward sisters were daughters of Nicholas Woodward, of Woodwardville, who married (1) Margaret Mullikin; and (2) Sarah Gambrill. Abram Gambrill Woodward, the Woodwardville storekeeper, was a son of Nicholas and Sarah (Gambrill) Woodward.
Louisa Priscilla (Anderson) Taylor was named after her mother, Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson (Mrs. Absalom (III) Anderson). DE:82. She married Frank Taylor (believed to have been of Davidsonville, MD., and many in this family may have been “wiped out” by the World War I flue epidemic. So much so, that very little today is known about their descendants.
A photograph of the Thompson Farm on Davidsonville Road at Gambrills, where one of the old Linthicum homes is located and was where the senior Thompsons lived. Once part of the Snowden estate at the head of South River, where the resident farmers for the Snowdens resided. Kermit Thompson, who married Betty Donaldson (Chief Wiley’s sister), grew up in this old home.
George Trundle. Not identified.
From the album of Absalom Anderson III, not identified
Lemuel Orme Anderson (the jousting knight of Severn Crossroads at Millersville, a bachelor, son of William H. (Sr) and Sarah E. (Shrivener) Anderson, seated on his favorite jousting horse.”
The William H. Anderson family-some of them probably with some of their Meade and/or Scrivener cousins.
The “opulent” ladies of Mid-twentieth century Old Millersville, Md., identified by name at very end of our Woodward genealogy gray covered booklet of circa 2005.
Springfield Baldwin Jr., a civil engineer, son of Rignal W. Baldwin, Sr. and Rosa (Hall) Baldwin.
The old (former) Anderson home on Providence Plantation at Woodwordville, Md. at the end of circa of World War II
Upper Cascadill Bridge, Ithica NY
Ella Anderson Waters. DE: 47,78. Her husband was Edward Waters, and they were old residents of Woodwardville. Parents of J. Irving Waters, of Odenton, and others.
J. Irving Waters.
Lena E (Waters) Padgett. Her husband was Marvin Padgett, and they were long-time residents of Woodwardville. She was a sister of J. Irving Waters and others.
George White. He married Cora E. Mullikin, a daughter of H. Clay Mullikin and Richarda Sophia (Anderson) Mullikin. DE: 84.
Franklin Hanson and Clara E. Ways, who were grandchildren of Isaac Cord (II) Anderson, Sr., and Lucy Caroline (Gaither) Anderson, of, eventually, Crownsville, Maryland. DE:107. They were two of the three children of one of Isaac’s daughters, Edna (Anderson) Ways Condon.
Julia Wilcox and husband. Not further identified.
Julia Aefan Wilcox. Not further identified.
Allie Moler Wilson. One of the Molers, but not further identified.
Cora Virginia Woodward. DE:36,112. The minor daughter of Daniel Dodge (I) Woodward and Mary Virginia (“Jennie”) Anderson, his first wife. Daniel Dodge lost both his first wife and his daughter when the daughter was young. Cousin Cora DuLaney was named after the young Cora Woodward.
Daniel Dodge (I) Woodward. DE: 11,25,35,56,74,,82,112.
Henry Woodward (of Rignal Duckett Woodward) and Margaret (Anderson) Woodward. DE: 14,21,22,25,26,29,40,44,45,78,94,95. Their “Civil War”-time marriage reunited, in marriage, two separately descended branches of the Woodward family, of Woodwardville, and that at Severn Cross Roads and Waterbury, respectively. At the time of their marriage at the old Johns Hopkins birthplace, Henry’s father was the “war-time” Sheriff of Anne Arundel County. Later both the father and the son, at different times, served as Chief Judge of Anne Arundel County’s probate court (Orphans Court)
Mary Virginia (“Jinny”) Anderson, the first Mrs. Daniel Dodge (I) Woodward. DE:6,11,13,15,21,22,23,29,34,35,42,74,80,88,112.
Mary Jane (Hall) Woodward, the second Mrs. Rignal Duckett Woodward, of Abington at Millersville, Maryland. DE:2,23,81,99. She was a daughter of Ann Duckett (Anderson) Hall and Thomas Hall, her husband.
Mrs. William N. Woodward, one of the two Ashwell sisters, from New Jersey, whom two Woodward cousins, George Hardesty Woodward (son of Rignal Duckett Woodward) and William Nicholas Woodward (later Clerk of the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County) married. The two Ashwell sisters probably met their future husbands at Abington farm at Millersville, Maryland, while visiting there from New Jersey, where George Hardesty Woodward’s older brother, Rignal Thomas Woodward, lived, while he was employed, for most of his working career, at the New York office of the Woodward, Baldwin companies, cotton brokers, etc.
Rignal Duckett Woodward. DE:17, 76,81,94,95. The Sheriff of Anne Arundel County during the Civil War and (later) Chief Judge of the Orphans Court. His farm and home was Abington on Severn Chapel Road at Millersville, Maryland
Rosalie H. Woodward. DE: 94. She was a daughter, who died when she was young, of Henry Woodward and Margaret (Anderson) Woodward.
Sallie Woodward. Not identified with certainty. She may have been an unmarried aunt of Henry Woodward, above, or of his father, Rignal Duckett Woodward. This would make her part of the “main line” of Woodwards at Severn Cross Roads and/or Waterbury.
William Nicholas Woodward Husband of lady above listed a few pictures above as Mrs. William Nicholas Woodward
The home of Allison Kenton Wagoner and Priscilla Baker Wagoner in three springs Pa. Allison is holding hands with Mabel Anderson and Robert A. Anderson, his grandchildren. The picture was taken in 1891. Mabel died 16 years later, living only 5 days longer than her mother. The tragedy caused the remaining 6 children to be put up for adoption. As mentioned earlier, Robert got them all back together as adults with the exception of Gladys who was never found by Robert.
Dr. Curtis Lee Anderson M.D. PhD., Janine (Gilkes) Anderson, their two boys Aidan James Anderson the elder, and Luke Oliver Anderson, the younger. Curtis lives and practices medicine in S. Florida and comes from the William the IV line.
Jessie Richards on July 31, 1911 in Altoona, Pa. 3 years before marrying Robert Aubrey Anderson. They had 5 children together and retired in Mill Creek, Pa.
Chef Scott Elliot Anderson, head chef and part owner of elements and Mistral, both located in Princeton, N.J. More can be learned about Scott and elements at www.elementsprinceton.com
Grassland as it appeared circa 1988.
The family of Robert Lee Anderson, from the left, T. Michael Anderson, Sue (Anderson) Hickes, Mary Arwilda (Burkholder) Anderson, James Lee Anderson, and Robert himself, taken in the early 1980’s.
Supplied by Ann (Stoneking) Sloat
“Upper photo: Joseph Fry Jones Sr. (1827 – 1888);
“Lower photos: Elizabeth Eleanor (Waring) Jones (Mrs. Joseph Fry Jones Sr.) (1826 – 1901)
“Both are interred in the cemetery of Baldwin Memorial Church. Mrs. Jones was a grand niece of Thomas Williams Turner, of Warfields Plains, the donor of the 3/4 acre original ‘Church lot’ where today stands the 1896 stone Baldwin Memorial Church and also the grantor of the land which became Bunker Hill farm of the family of William Henry Baldwin, Sr. Joseph Fry Jones Sr. was a brother of William Jones, the carpenter – builder of Charles W. Baldwin Hall (1861), whose wife was Eveline Waring (a sister of Mrs. Joseph Fry Jones), and Mr. and Mrs. William Jones are likewise interred in Baldwin Memorial Church cemetery. Mrs. Elizabeth Eleanor (Waring) Jones was thus a half-niece of the generation of Woodward siblings which included Jane Maria Woodward (Mrs. William Henry Baldwin, Sr.), William Woodward of Baltimore, Henry Williams Woodward, Rignal Duckett Woodward, and others.
“These two photo images were contributed by a great great granddaughter of the Joseph Fry Jones Sr., Cynthia Waring Shockley of North Carolina.
The following initial group of twenty-one (21) photographs are images taken at, or
of persons immediately associated with, the 19th century Anderson and Bowie farm
or plantation and home at Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, Maryland,
known as Grassland, and described more generally in the above referenced “DE”
(which is available to be examined, read, and/or printed, in whole and/or in part(s),
at the “Publications” page of the web site: The Grassland Foundation, Inc., along
with Cora Anderson DuLaney’s (1948) Andersons from the Great Fork of the
Patuxent, which is also available for reading, copying, and printing at the same
Grassland Foundation “web site” “Publications” page; both publications containing
name indices at the rear or end of each). We are indebted to Mr. and Mrs. Harry
Anderson Bowie, Sr., of, today, Baltimore, Maryland (Harry being a double great
grandson of William Anderson, of Grassland, the builder of the home known as
Grassland), for making these twenty-one (21) photographs available for reproduction
here of the following JPEG images thereof.
Captain John Bowie, Jr. (Grandson of William Anderson, of Grassland, the builder),
United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, Retired, standing in front of the Grassland
home a few years before his death in 1986
Anne Arundel County, Maryland Sheriff John Bowie (father of Captain Bowie, above),
standing near the then front porch of the Grassland home at a time and on a date which
was after the completion of changes and additions which had been made to the home
toward the end of World War II.
William Anderson of Grassland, the storekeeper at Harpers Ferry, (West) Virginia, and
other places, who returned to the areas of his birth in Anne Arundel and Prince George’s
Counties, Maryland, and, about 1852, purchased the farm and erected thereon the home
known as Grassland.
Sarah Hall Anderson, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Perkins) Hall, who married, as
his second wife, William Anderson of Grassland. Sarah was the sister of his first wife,
Susannah Hall Beck (who had earlier died while they were living at Harpers Ferry, (West)
Virginia. By his first wife, William of Grassland had one son, William Henry Harrison
Anderson, a Baltimore, Maryland, attorney; and, by his second wife, he had one daughter,
Susannah Anderson Bowie, of Grassland (“Cousin Susie”), who married Colonel T.
John Bowie, one time Provost Marshal for Northern Prince George’s County, Maryland,
during the War for Southern Independence. (Unfortunately, we do not (yet) have a picture
or portrait of Colonel T. John Bowie (who died when he was relatively young) to exhibit.
There once was a painting of him, possibly at Grassland, which was given by the Bowies
to the late Claggett Bowie, who was a son of Captain John Bowie, Jr’s uncle, the late Dr.
Susannah Anderson Bowie (Mrs. T. John Bowie) of Grassland (“Cousin Susie” to the
extended Anderson family).
John Bowie “of Bladensburg” (probably the father of Colonel T. John Bowie). It is known
that the progenitors of Colonel T. John Bowie were natives of Bladensburg, Prince
George’s County, Maryland.
Dr. William Bowie, uncle of Captain John Bowie, Jr., and brother of Sheriff John Bowie.
Dr. William Bowie was a distinguished graduate of both the Anne Arundel Academy at
Millersville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, and of Lehigh University in Pennsylvania. For
more about his distinguished career, see references for and about him in “DE” above
Sheriff John Bowie of Grassland. Father of Captain John Bowie, Jr., and others. For
more about the Sheriff’s life and career, see references for and about him in “DE” above
Edward Hall Bowie, uncle of Captain John Bowie, Jr., and brother of Sheriff John Bowie.
His career was spent with the United States Weather Service. See references for and
about him and his career in “DE” above referred to.
Bowie children on fence at Grassland. It is believed that most, if not all, of the following
remaining of twenty-two (22) photographs were taken during the decades of the 1920s
and/or1930s at Grassland or even earlier, in some cases.
Sheep Grazing at Grassland.
From left to right: Henry Anderson Bowie, John Bowie, Jr., Robert Monroe Bowie,
Sr., and Susannah Frances Bowie Baldwin (with their dogs), all siblings and the children
of Sheriff John Bowie; photograph taken when they were young.
John Bowie, Jr., with his sister, Susannah Frances Bowie Baldwin, when they were
young, watching the hay being “brought in” at Grassland.
One of the Old Slave Quarters at Grassland. This one no longer stands.
The Mules at Grassland.
Mrs. Ethel (Cooke) Bowie (Mrs. John Bowie) of Grassland. She was the Sheriff’s wife
and the mother of his children. Here she is depicted with two of her infant children,
including her daughter, Susannah Frances (who later became Mrs. C. Elliott Baldwin).
Mrs. Bowie was tragically killed during World War II at Laurel, Maryland, when, as a
pedestrian walking, she was struck and killed by a motor vehicle.
Helen, John (Jr.), Margaret, and Ethel Bowie at Grassland “bringing in the hay”; it is
believed that “Helen” and “Margaret” may have been children of one or more of the two
married uncles of John Bowie, Jr., who may have been visiting with/staying at Grassland
when they were young, possibly during a summer season.
Susannah Frances and Henry Anderson Bowie at Grassland, when they were young,
with a Negro maid.
Sheriff John Bowie with hounds, at Grassland.
The entire Grassland family – left to right: Jessie Cooke (Ethel Cooke Bowie’s mother),
John Bowie, Jr., Susannah Anderson Bowie (“Cousin Susie”), Jarvis(?), Ethel Cooke
Bowie, Susannah Frances Bowie (later Baldwin), Robert Monroe Bowie, Sr., Fred
Dorsey, Richard Cliffton (?), Henry Anderson Bowie, Sheriff John Bowie. Since
“Cousin Susie” Anderson Bowie passed during 1934, that somewhat “dates” this particular
From left to right: Front Row: John Bowie, Jr., and his sister, Susannah Frances
Bowie (children); Back Row: Ethel Bowie, Sheriff John Bowie.
Two of the next three images depict the originally marked, and now confirmed, (“monumented”) grave
sites at Ward’s Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery situated at the corner of
the intersection of Liberty Road and Wards Chapel Road, 11023 Liberty Road Road, Randallstown, in
Baltimore County, Maryland 21133, of Anne Arundel County Confederate Army Civil War
Veteran Richard Thomas Anderson and of his infant daughter, Emmeline Louise
Anderson (who was named “after” her two grandmothers, Emmeline Banes and
Louisa Priscilla (Woodward) Anderson (Mrs. Absalom (III) Anderson), respectively).
At this writing, after their two individual tombstones had remained undisturbed in
place at the aforementioned cemetery since circa 1896, and after initially being unable to relocate these two grave sites in more recent years, we are now happy to be able to report that both are,
and have been, “in place” where they have always been since they were first installed in the 1890’s
time period, without any vandalism to date (2016).
For more about Richard Thomas Anderson’s Civil War record, assignments,
postings, and war injuries, see the appropriate locations in “DE” above referred to.
One or more photographs of him and of his brother, Samuel Woodward (I) Anderson,
who fought with him at, among other places, Gettysburg (where Samuel was
mortally wounded) appear(s) in several bound volume histories pertaining to
Maryland Confederate Army Civil War engagements and battles, and it is hoped that
we will soon be able to include some of such photographs of the two Anderson
brothers on this “web” site. These two Anderson brothers were both members of
the same unit, Company “C” (the so called “Duvall Company”), from Anne Arundel
and Prince George’s Counties, Maryland, of the First (later the Second) Maryland
(Confederate) Infantry Battalion, part of the so called “Maryland Confederate Line”.
The late John (“Jack”) Robinson, of Severna Park, Maryland, accompanied by others,
including his late first cousin from California, the Reverend Dr. Ross Banes Anderson, Jr.,
of California, is shown inspecting and reading the monumented grave stone at the Wards
Chapel United Methodist Church near Randallstown in Baltimore County, Maryland, of
the Reverend Dr. Ross Banes Anderson, Jr.’s late grandfather, Civil War Veteran
Richard Thomas Anderson, on an occasion in fairly recent years. (In fact, the partial image of the
Reverend Dr. Ross Banes Anderson, Jr., appears, standing to the left of, and slightly in
front of, the full image of his first cousin, Jack Robinson, squatting, in this particular
photograph. One can distinguish Dr. Anderson’s hat or cap and his eye glasses in the
extreme left hand side of this photo image.)
An image of the still existing and still standing main, or principal, Banes family cemetery
marker located in the Cemetery of Wards Chapel United Methodist Church, located as
above. Lafayette Banes, named on this particular stone, was either the father or
grandfather of Anna Margaret Banes Anderson (Mrs. Richard Thomas Anderson), the
wife and surviving widow of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, Confederate Civil War soldier
Richard Thomas Anderson, whom Mrs. Anderson had interred in this cemetery close to
some of her Banes family relatives after his death about 1896, and she was the one who
paid to have the two cemetery markers there erected for her late husband and daughter,
A “close up” image photograph of the grave marker monument for Richard Thomas
Anderson’s infant daughter, Emmeline Louise Anderson, who preceded in death her
father, Richard Thomas Anderson (by a year or two), and which grave monument was
one of the two such grave monuments which, in recent years, were erroneously thought to have been disturbed and
removed, without permission, from the cemetery of the Wards Chapel United Methodist
Church near Randallstown in Baltimore County, Maryland, but which now, thankfully, have been ascertained not to have been disturbed or removed (2016)
Photo contributed by Ms. Vicki DaBronzo with our gratitude. Charles W. Anderson (of Robert Anderson, of Fredrick County, Maryland “line was born and raised in Trenton NJ, when he was 17 he joined the Navy. He was a Navy veteran
of the Korean War (1952-1956) serving aboard the USS Hale DD642 for
26 months as a 3/c PO. He enjoyed attending reunions with former shipmates
of the Hale in different parts of the country and trips to Myrtle Beach, S.C. and Cape
May, NJ. He loved playing games on the computer. Photo was taken in 1995
“Courtesy Tacy A. Shoemaker Lewis
Happy 200th birthday to my 3rd great grandfather, George Shannon Anderson born in Belmont County, Ohio to Humphrey and Lavinia Shannon Anderson. pictured here with his wife, Sarah Smith. He was named for his uncle, George Shannon, Jr., the youngest member of the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery, and for his grandfather, George Shannon, Sr., a Revolutionary War soldier. For further details about this family, see (a) the article, “The Descendants of William Clark Anderson and the ‘Lewis and Clark Expedition'”, by Richard Dell Anderson, appearing in Grassland History Notes, Vol. 2, Issue No. 1 of June, 2002; and (b) pages 90 et seq. in Andersons from the Great Fork of the Patuxent (1948), by Cora Woodward (Anderson) DuLaney [both available for reading, copying, and printing on the “Publications” portal of this “web site”].
In small type, of course.